please just watch this
Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop (9.28.14): The police are literally holding peaceful protesters hostage right now. They took them into custody (folks who were complying with all police requests) so they could negotiate with the remaining protesters for them to go home. This is some of the most ridiculous shit I’ve ever seen! No justice, no peace! #staywoke #farfromover (PT I) (PT 2)
Follow the developments live @ Argus LIVESTREAM.
- The protests are being held in order to achieve universal suffrage in Hong Kong. Although democracy had been promised for 2017 in 2008, China announced this August that Hong Kong people would only be able to vote from a pool of 2-3 specially selected candidates (all of whom would definitely have pro-China sentiments)
- University students held a week-long boycott of classes to protest for true democracy in Hong Kong
- Today riot police were deployed against peaceful protesters. Equipped in full riot gear the police used pepper spray to deter the protesters, mainly students and youths but also some elderly people have reported being sprayed point blank
- It is estimated that over 50,000 people have joined the protest and this number continues to grow
- This is the largest political protest in Hong Kong since our independence from the UK in 1997
- Although the protests remain peaceful, police have now started to use tear gas and have brought out long guns loaded with rubber bullets (there hasn’t yet been a report of any bullets being shot)
- Over 80 arrests have been made including students as young as 16 for taking part in these protests
- They are cutting cell phone receptions in the protest area so that people can’t share any information
- Violence is increasing as police continue to instigate protesters
- All this comes right before the October 1st celebration of the 65th anniversary of founding of the People’s Republic of China
- There are rumours that the PLA (the Chinese army) are going to be brought into the city tonight
More facts about Hong Kong:
- We run under a one country, two systems policy with China meaning that we are part of China but have our own government and laws.
- Protests for universal suffrage have been held throughout the summer but these are the biggest yet
- Anti-China and anti-government sentiments are at their highest levels yet. Survey results showed that 1 in 5 people are thinking of emigrating from the city.
- In June, China issued a white paper essentially telling Hong Kong to remember their place and re-asserting their authority over the city
The scenes from the protest look awful. In my 17 years in Hong Kong I’ve never seen anything like it. The world needs to know about this and say something before we get a recurrence of the Tiananmen Square massacre.
I hope everyone stays safe. Hong Kong stay strong.
"Well, I really just want to help the patients. Watch over them. Not to be immodest but I feel I’d make a great fit."
I honestly bet Meg puked or some shit after having to act like she gave a fuck
how to fail miserably at not falling in love with your best friend: a novel by allison argent
my favorite tidbit about rome is that in the mid-1800s one of the popes didnt like the statues in rome having dicks so he ordered them knocked off. fast forward to the last decade or so and art historians in conjunction with the vatican are trying to erm. restore. the statues. but the dicks were just. kept in a box. so art historians are going around rome, with a box of dicks, trying to match them up to their owner.
I was lying in bed reading tumblr on my phone this morning (don’t anyone judge me) and I hit this post and before I even saw that you had tagged me with it, Eimear, I thought
DICKS ‘N MATCH
So they’ve spotted dicks?
Thus proving the penis mightier than the sword.
Summoner: Does the skeleton thief have intelligence?
DM: From what you can tell, yes.
Summoner: Alright, then I’m going to seduce the skeleton.
DM: What the- okay. Fine. Just roll.
Summoner: *rolls a natural 20* Okay, so that’s gonna be 33 total to seduce the skeleton.
DM: Yknow what. Fuck it. You seduced the skeleton.